Home > PRESIDENT TRUMP
20 views 4 min 0 Comment

Trump Says US To ‘Substantially Reduce’ Military Drills With S.Korea, Cites ‘Very Good Relationship’ With Kim

adrianoreid@hotmail.com - August 17, 2026



President Trump revealed Sunday he has ordered the Pentagon to scale back joint military exercises with longtime close ally South Korea, surprisingly mentioning his “very good relationship” with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un as a motivating factor in the decision.Trump said in a Truth Social posts that exercises, due to start on Monday, are costly and “send a signal that is totally inappropriate and hostile” to North Korea, which he said “has been unthreatening and respectful” during his time in office.”Based on my very good relationship with Kim Jong Un, of North Korea, I am not happy with the fact that the United States has, long ago, agreed to participate in Joint Military Exercises with South Korea,” Trump stated.Via CNN, from historic Trump-Kim meeting during the US President’s first term.Not only did Trump have somewhat glowing things to say about Pyongyang – perhaps in an effort to again jump start the kind of direct diplomacy and meetings with Kim that marked his first term – but he at the same time denigrated some recent stances of South Korea on the global stage.He invoked Seoul’s stance on the US-Israel war on Iran, which marked a huge disappointment for the White House.”I recently asked the President of South Korea if they would like to join us in the Denuclearization of the Islamic Republic of Iran, and they said, ‘No thanks!'” he said.Still, Trump lamented that it is actually too late to cancel the drills, and so ordered War Secretary Pete Hegseth to “substantially reduce” them.The 10-day Ulchi Freedom Shield exercise kicked off Monday, and involves tens of thousands of military personnel from the United States, South Korea participate – but also other allied countries such as Australia.South Korea’s Ministry of Defense responded to media questions about Trump’s post by saying the military exercises would “proceed as previously notified and scheduled.”Going into this past weekend North Korea issued a severe warning over the upcoming joint military exercise between the United States and South Korea, characterizing it as a rehearsal for an aggressive war and that it is is ready to respond.North Korea’s Foreign Ministry described Friday that these planned drills look different, and will be more dangerous, compared to all prior ones of the past-half decade, in that they appear offensive in nature as the exercise will focus on modern warfare tactics.”The US announced that the forthcoming exercises are quite different from the ones of the past five years and intended to master the ability of fighting a war on the basis of the new aspects of modern warfare,” the North Korea condemnation reads. “By doing so, it did not conceal its aim to complete preparations for the substantial military confrontation with the DPRK. This is tantamount to an admission that the exercises, which the US and the ROK describe as ‘annual’ and ‘defensive’ ones, are a rehearsal for an aggressive war,” the ministry added in a statement published by Korean Central News Agency (KCNA).Beyond trying to possibly inject new life into Washington diplomacy with Pyongyang, it’s unclear what the ultimate aim of Trump’s conciliatory social media post is. Is he perhaps trying to signal China? Is he really just angry at Seoul? Or he’s maybe worried over Kim’s nuclear expanse and modernization drive, and so wishes to start dealing with that in more direction fashion?



Source link

Post Views: 25

PREVIOUS

Fog Of War: A World Searching For An Exit

NEXT

Mark Kelly: Trump decision to reduce joint military exercises with South Korea 'shortsighted and a mistake'
Related Post
August 4, 2026
Wesley Bell defeats Cori Bush in Missouri House primary for second time
May 13, 2026
Duckworth: Trump Should ‘Stop Worrying About China and Iran’
January 27, 2026
Times Square Billboard for ‘The Invisible Coup’ Delivers Terror-Funding Bombshell
March 15, 2026
US, China Weigh Trade Deals Ahead of Trump-Xi Summit
Comments are closed.
John Michael Chambers

DISCLAIMER

The material contained on this website represents the opinion, analysis and/or commentary of JMC, John Michael Chambers and its aggregated content and resources, and is intended to provide the viewer with general information only and nothing should be considered as providing medical, financial, or other advice. JMC, John Michael Chambers strives to deliver wartime updates and opinion commentary that empowers and informs viewers. JMC, John Michael Chambers is dedicated to the rule of law and upholding the U.S. Constitution and does not endorse violence or discrimination in any form. This is NOT an official government or military website. This is not a news network.

© 2026 John Michael Chambers All rights reserved.