Home > KASH PATEL
4 views 4 min 0 Comment

Iryna Zarutska family sues Charlotte over light-rail security gaps

adrianoreid@hotmail.com - August 22, 2026


NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

The family of Iryna Zarutska is suing the city of Charlotte, North Carolina, and its private transit security contractor one year after her murder shocked the nation. The suit alleges “systemic failures” left the city’s light-rail system dangerously vulnerable.

“This case arises from the preventable death of Iryna Zarutska,” the wrongful-death complaint filed against the City of Charlotte and Professional Police Services Inc., doing business as Professional Security Services, or PSS states. The allegations have not been adjudicated.

“What it shows is the systemic failures that have been within the CATS system for years that the city has been aware of,” Lauren Newton, an attorney representing Zarutska’s family and estate, previously told WBTV.

CHARLOTTE TRAIN STABBING SUSPECT DODGES POTENTIAL DEATH PENALTY FOR NOW AFTER HE’S RULED INCOMPETENT

Iryna Zarutska curls up in fear

Iryna Zarutska curls up in fear as a man looms over her during a disturbing attack on a Charlotte, N.C., light-rail train. (NewsNation via Charlotte Area Transit System)

The lawsuit alleges no security guard was aboard the Lynx Blue Line train when Zarutska was fatally stabbed Aug. 22, 2025, and accuses PSS of failing to adequately staff and deploy armed and unarmed personnel.

Charlotte’s amended contract with PSS provided funding for 219 security personnel for fiscal years 2025 and 2026, according to the complaint, which alleges PSS had hired 183 at the time of Zarutska’s killing. 

The lawsuit further alleges PSS had only 11 armed guards despite the contract providing for up to 39 armed personnel.

TRUMP ADMINISTRATION LAUNCHES FEDERAL INVESTIGATION INTO ATLANTA’S MARTA SYSTEM AFTER FATAL TRAIN STABBING

Booking photo of Decarlos Brown

Decarlos Dejuan Brown Jr.’s booking photo from Sept. 14, 2022, after his arrest in Mecklenburg County.   (Mecklenburg County Sheriff’s Office  )

“They weren’t fully staffed,” Newton told WBTV. “If there had been a security guard on that train, Iryna Zarutska would be here.” Her assertion that a guard would have prevented Zarutska’s death has not been established in court.

The complaint also takes aim at fare enforcement, alleging Zarutska’s accused killer, Decarlos Brown Jr., rode CATS transportation without paying before the attack. It alleges there were no physical barriers preventing non-ticketed riders from accessing the light rail.

“There’s been literally no fare enforcement and those things, at a basic level, are what’s necessary for safety. And there’s been none of that,” Newton told WBTV.

MAN FACING FEDERAL CHARGES AFTER ATLANTA TRAIN PASSENGER STABBED ABOUT 20 TIMES; FBI INVESTIGATING

Aerial view of downtown Charlotte skyline under clear skies.

The lawsuit alleges Charlotte and PSS knew or should have known the Blue Line and its stops had repeatedly been the site of criminal activity before Zarutska’s death. (Omar Vega/Getty Images, File)

The lawsuit alleges Charlotte and PSS knew or should have known about the Blue Line and its stops had repeatedly been the site of criminal activity before Zarutska’s death. 

“Violent crime was absolutely foreseeable,” Newton told WBTV.

The estate brings claims including wrongful death based on allegedly negligent and inadequate security and gross negligence. It seeks damages exceeding $25,000 and punitive damages against PSS, but not against Charlotte.

“The family doesn’t want this to happen to anyone else’s loved one,” Newton previously told WBTV.

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP

Fox News Digital separately reached out to PSS and Newton for comment but did not receive immediate responses.

The City of Charlotte informed Fox News Digital it does not provide comment on active litigation.

Jasmine Baehr is a breaking news writer for Fox News Digital, where she covers politics, the military, legal debates surrounding life and family policy, as well as faith and culture.



Source link

Post Views: 6

PREVIOUS

A Call To Power: Islamic Leaders See Ballot Box As Path To Paradise

NEXT

When The Rule Of Law Fails
Related Post
August 6, 2026
EXCLUSIVE: Classified report reveals how India’s Bishnoi gang uses Canada’s student visa program
March 4, 2025
Here’s How Trump’s FBI Director Made His Money
July 3, 2026
Secret Service member was Googling rooftop location of Trump’s would-be assassin when shots rang out in Butler, Pa.: DHS report
March 26, 2026
Iran-linked hackers claim breach of FBI director’s personal email; DOJ official confirms break-in – World
Leave a Reply

Click here to cancel reply.

John Michael Chambers

DISCLAIMER

The material contained on this website represents the opinion, analysis and/or commentary of JMC, John Michael Chambers and its aggregated content and resources, and is intended to provide the viewer with general information only and nothing should be considered as providing medical, financial, or other advice. JMC, John Michael Chambers strives to deliver wartime updates and opinion commentary that empowers and informs viewers. JMC, John Michael Chambers is dedicated to the rule of law and upholding the U.S. Constitution and does not endorse violence or discrimination in any form. This is NOT an official government or military website. This is not a news network.

© 2026 John Michael Chambers All rights reserved.